Sunday, March 29, 2009

Pizza

This picture was taken right after my first soccer game. My grandpa grandma and me out to eat. It was also the first time in my entire life, that I had tasted pizza. As soon as I took the first bite, of that delicious cheese pizza, I felt like I was floating in the air. My mouth becomes very watery. I heard my grandparents arguing about the food, but I could have cared less. I was only nine years old and I had eaten five slices of a large pizza, the first time I had tried it.
When I went home; I felt sick. I threw up and was in bed for two days, but that didn’t stop me from, thinking about pizza.
After that day, I would go with my grandpa to that same restaurant, every Friday. I tried pepperoni pizza, sausage pizza, mushroom pizza, and even mushroom-pineapple pizza, but none of them tasted as good as the cheese pizza. By the time I was twelve years old, I was five feet tall, and weighted nearly two hundred pounds. Pizza no longer made my mouth watery, or made me sick because I had ate too much. It had become an addiction. It tasted like I was chewing on paper; but I couldn’t stop it, because when I did, I would not be able to go to sleep. I felt empty from the inside.
I was made fun of at school, because of my weight. Still pizza was the most important thing in my life. Then, one Friday before grandpa and I went to get pizza; my mom came back to see me. She said she had lung cancer, and that she wanted to spend the last days of her life with me.
I staid home with her. The first time in three years, I had missed pizza on a Friday. At night I couldn’t go to sleep. I felt depressed, and lonely. I went out into the living room, and saw my mom smoking. Without her noticing I picked up her cigarette and began to smoke. I felt dizzy and began to cough. I felt nauseous. It was a horrible feeling, but it was the only thing that put me to sleep that night. When I woke up in the morning, I had an awful headache. And before I knew it I was smoking a pack of cigarettes each day. I liked it because it was better than eating pizza every Friday, and I began to lose weight.
Soon after my mother died, but still I didn’t stop smoking like I hadn’t stopped eating pizza. Now I’m the one with lung cancer.

No comments: